I almost sold Maggie's first dance uniform, and I about lost it, emotionally.
Maggie's dance teacher had asked if I would be willing to sell Maggie's uniform from last year as a Just For Kix class in another town would be wearing the same style. I didn't think anything of it at first. "Sure!" I quickly replied.
So before Maggie's class yesterday, I went to get it down from the closet to give to her teacher. And as I looked at the adorable pink long-sleeve leotard and poofy aqua tulle skirt adorned with the pink flower, I had flashbacks of my precious princess on stage for her very first dance recital. She was so excited, and she looked just ADORABLE. I remembered how she wanted to wear that uniform to Cubbies for Sports Night. I remembered how she begged to just run around the house in it. And again, how ADORABLE she looked in it.
I had a brief internal struggle, but we had to get going, and in the end thought I should follow through with what I originally told her teacher. I even explained to Maggie, and she told me she wanted "another little girl" to have it. What a sweetheart. So I placed it in a plastic Target bag and let Maggie deliver it to her teacher at dance.
But I couldn't let go.
To add to my emotional state, I ended up talking with another mom at church that evening who had had a daughter in Maggie's dance class last year. Without me saying anything, it just came up out of the blue that her daughter just loves that uniform, and wears it around all the time.
Uhhh! I thought I made my decision! I didn't want to beg for the uniform back. I didn't want to be viewed as ridiculous and childish. Finally as I lay in bed, quite distraught (why was I crying???), I decided to grovel and ask for it back. I emailed her teacher, and laid it out for her. I would definitely want another child to have it if she needed it, but if they had extra...could I, pretty please, have it back? Talk about feeling humbled! And to my delight, the teacher emailed me back this morning and affirmed that she would not sell it but rather return it to me next week.
Am I ridiculous? Don't answer that. But seriously, look at this girl.

Ok, so maybe this whole uniform thing just represents how quickly my children are growing and changing, and how desperately I want to hang on to them so tightly! I know there are some things I need to let go, but for now, I will keep the uniform, let Maggie enjoy it a little more, and then have the tangible memory of her very first dance class.
Not crazy. Just a mom in love with her kids:)
ReplyDeleteOk - I'm going with that one, Jackie! :)
DeleteNot crazy at all, especially since it was her first! Now if you can never get rid of any of them you might be a hoarder... ;) That is so sweet.
ReplyDelete