damask

Monday, September 2, 2013

The End of Summer

The house is (mostly) clean, my freshly-bathed babes are nodding off in their bed (well, Maggie is in our bed) after their s’more sugar-high around the bonfire, and my work computer is charging in anticipation of the first day of school tomorrow.  Steve has pretty much been back at the daily grind since the beginning of August with hiring staff, football, etc. etc. and I had on-site staff training that I drove an hour to and from Monday through Wednesday of last week (thanks to Steve’s parents for staying here with Maggie and Bode – they were amazing help!), but tomorrow starts our first days with students and the beginning of the normal routine. 


Learning about our new phones at inservice.
Bode helped me help out at a cross country meet Thursday.

To end our summer/start the fall, Steve had his first football game of the season on Friday (yes, he’s back to coaching after a brutal one-year hiatus), and my summer running culminated with a half marathon that I was able to participate in with my mom.  After my full marathon last October, I wanted to have something to work towards again this summer, but to be able to complete it before the busyness and stresses of the new school year started up.  I found the Women Rock half marathon in St. Paul on August 31st and persuaded my mom to sign up as well.  I was working on my sister, but no luck there.  Maybe we’ll try to ease her in with a 5k one of these days.   I’m so proud of my mom, and it was fun to have that memory to share together. 

We ended our time together on Saturday by joining up with Stephen, Annie, and Grey to celebrate Aimee’s and Steve’s early September birthdays at the Olive Garden.
 

Maggie and Bode love their cousin, and can't get close enough.
Just chilling on Sunday at home.
These kids.  They are strange. And cute.

Being Labor Day today, we checked the last activity off of our summer list since, in my mind, it was the last official day of summer.  Bowling! 
 







It was Maggie’s and Bode’s first time, and I believe they enjoyed themselves…that is, until the end when Maggie figured out she hadn’t won.  That girl doesn’t have a chance as the oldest child of Steve's and mine – competitiveness and perfectionism is in her blood.  We once again explained that we congratulate the other participants, and that we still have fun no matter if we win or not.  Just now, as I sat here typing in Bode’s room, I heard her reciting our reminders to Steve, “Mommy didn’t win her race and Grammy didn’t either, but they still had fun.  The other football team (that played Stewartville on Friday) didn’t win, but they still had fun.  One time when we played Duck, Duck, Grey Duck, I didn’t win, but I still had fun...”  I hope it sinks in one of these days. 

Marking off the last item on our summer list.  We edited as needed, but did complete 100 summer activities.


For the most part, I am now done mourning the end of summer, and ready for the routine of fall, and for the cooler temps, sweaters and boots(!), everything pumpkin, football, autumn colors, and the start of new activities.  Oh, and tomorrow is Steve’s birthday.  What fun! :)
 





No comments:

Post a Comment