damask

Sunday, April 14, 2013

I Want to Remember

Sunday mornings can be a little hectic as we try to get out the door on time for church.  It is for everyone, right?  With Bode still needing a morning nap, we normally try to get him to lay down for a short little while before we leave for Sunday School and late service.

As I was trying to get him to sleep this morning, he was resisting more than usual.  I had finished reading him several books, but instead of snuggling down in his crib with his blue lovey puppy like he normally does, he was standing up and crying for me. Even though time was ticking, I was still wearing my towel with a mud mask on my face, I decided I'd sing him some more songs and rock him for awhile to see if that would help.  After a few of our favorite nap time tunes, he finally started relaxing in my arms and his eyelids succumbed to their sleepy weight.

When he finally drifted off to sleep, I couldn't help but wish I could forget about everything else and just cuddle him all morning.  His warm toddler body just fit so perfectly on my lap with his precious wild blonde curls on my shoulder and his sweet little chubby bare feet sticking out from under the blanket.  Everyone says to cherish every second while they're young.  Often this is easier said than done, but in instants like these, I can't help but wish the world would stop so I could truly enjoy them to the fullest.

Sometimes I really cannot believe how quickly my babies are growing.  I wish I could tangibly remember what Bode was like as a newborn and recall exactly all of Maggie's quirky mannerisms when she was Bode's age.  In the moment you never think you'll forget, but sadly and inevitably the memories do fade. 

So these are just some of the memories I want so desperately to hang on to when, in the years to come, I look back on this chapter of our lives.:

~My darling 3 year old that needs me to hold her hand while she falls asleep at night but then still makes her way into our room before morning.

~The affectionate hugs and wrestles with my little boy.

~A grumpy girl that put herself down for an early nap one day and then came back out of her room to apologize.

~The shrill screams of a 17-month-old who still wants his mommy to hold him and carry him everywhere.

~The belly laughs from my oldest child when I imitate the way she used to say "Grammy."

~The way my youngest coyly looks away and buries his face in my shoulder when a stranger talks to him.

~The random "Mommy, I love you."s from my sweet daughter.

Yes.  We are blessed.

Bode's love even reaches to the cat...who does not share his enthusiasm.


Excitement on our surprise weekend trip to Wisconsin Dells.


Enjoying some homemade oobleck.


Homemade doughnuts, requested by Maggie after reading a Curious George book about doughnuts.


Greeting friends from the window.


Hugs for her bestie.


Wonderful friends, visiting from Isanti.


Sorting seashells that Bapa brought back from a business trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment